Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday [10]


Top Ten Tuesday is an amazing weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week’s topic is a Halloween Freebie, allowing us bloggers to come up with our own top ten. So I decided my top ten will be Top Ten Books/Series to Read for Halloween.

For those who know me, Halloween is one of my favorite times of the year and each year I go to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios in Orlando, FL. Even though they manage to scare the living daylights out of me, I love it more than I can say. For someone terrified of clowns, the picture below says it all (this year’s Halloween Horror Nights host):

Not only do I love the excitement of a good Halloween event or party, but I also love spooky books around this time of the year. So without further ado, here are my top ten choices to read around Halloween time.

Dracula by Bram Stoker – this is not as scary but it is just a classic that I think everyone should read.

House of Leaves by Mark A. Danielewski – this is by far one of the most original books. I read this a few years ago and fell in love with it. I really hope I’ll soon get a chance to re-read it and see what I missed along the way.

The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice – I haven’t finished reading these, but I read up to book 5 so far and I loved them all. My favorite so far has been Vampire Lestat (book 2 in the chronicles) and I doubt that any of the other books in the series will surpass Vampire Lestat, but that’s just because I fell in love with the character while reading about his backstory.

It by Stephen King – Moment of honesty, I did not read this book, nor do I ever plan on reading it. However, I did watch the movie as a child and it has left me scarred for life; to this day I am absolutely terrified of clowns. Books are always better than the movies, so I would imagine this is one heck of a scary ride.

N0S4A2 and Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill – the apple does not fall far from the tree. Joe Hill is Stephen King’s son, and a very accomplished author in his own right. I read both of these books and they definitely gave me all the chills.
                       

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn – I read all of Gillian Flynn’s books and found them all to be very Halloween appropriate. However, Sharp Objects was my first Flynn read and it holds a special dark scary place in my heart.

Coldest Girl In Coldtown by Holly Black – One of my favorite vampire stories in the YA universe. I loved the darkness of this book and Holly Black’s flawless writing.

The Young Elites by Marie Lu – This is not as much of a scary read as it is a dark read. I recently read this and you can check out my full spoiler free review here, if you’d like to know more about this.

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs – I am in the middle of this book and I am so sorry I waited so long to read it. It is absolutely brilliant and just the perfect read for Halloween.

The Forbidden Game by L.J. Smith – this is by far the least scary book on the list, but I really did enjoy it and it did get my heart racing throughout so I felt like I should include it. 

What's on your list of Halloween reads?

1 comment:

  1. Haha I don't feel so bad on this one I have read more than 1 book! Whoohoo some good choices, some I've seen around or own but have yet to read. Love me some Halloween!

    ReplyDelete